The UK government has cancelled the summer 2021 GCSE exams. Since the exams have been cancelled, teacher assessed grades is a solution that has been put in place for college and school students to get their final GCSE grade this summer. GCSE qualification, especially English and maths, are important for employment and further education such as A levels and University courses. However, if you are not a student in school or college then there is uncertainty on how you can obtain teacher assessed grades. Below will provide you with information about teacher assessed grades and alternative qualifications to GCSEs.


Teacher assessed grades for those in schools and colleges

Students in college and schools need to try their best in ongoing work and mock exams. You can also optimise your grade by providing extra evidence to your school or college for your teacher assessed grades. MME is an establishment that offers the extra evidence which is controlled assessments for GCSE maths exams. The results of the assessments will be submitted to your school or college as extra evidence.

GCSE Exams and GCSE resits

The November GCSE 2021 resit exams have not been cancelled by the government so you can visit MME’s page about more information, GCSE maths retake page. The iGCSE qualifications are also going ahead and you can contact MME on 020 3633 5145 to get more information and book as an external candidate.

Teacher assessed grades for external candidates

If you are an external candidate such as you have been homeschooled, you are an adult learner or you are not in mainstream education and you want to obtain a GCSE grade this summer then you can take a series of assessments. MME and GCSE examiners have come up with these assessments. You are able to book in for the assessments via the GCSE maths controlled assessment page.

Alternatives to GCSE exams and teacher assessed grade

You will see that there are multiple alternatives to the GCSE exams. When you apply for any University or specific jobs, you will notice the phrase ‘Give your GCSE or GCSE equivalent qualifications‘. Functional skills is also a name that is given for GCSE equivalent qualifications. The functional skills level 2 is a GCSE equivalent qualification that is accepted by employers and Universities. You can find more information about the functional skills qualifications below:


Nurses and Trainee Teachers

GCSE equivalency tests are another qualification that is accepted by most employers and Universities. If you are looking at teacher training or nursing then this qualification is asn option for you but it isn’t universally accepted so it is advised that you check with the employer or course provider before you book this qualification. SCCITT’s and course providers prefer this qualification over the functional skills, therefore it is common amongst trainee teachers.